quarta-feira, maio 14, 2008

Open Culture

Encyclopedia Britannica is offering free access to the complete online encyclopedia to web publishers. I was lucky enough to get hold of a subscription and am delighted to praise such an  innovative and democratizing initiative. Certainly a landmark in the webculture and an important step in ensuring access to trustable reference contents. 

One of my first searches, randomly picked, I admit (and I am not being ironic, I was just curious about the result), was the word happiness. I found several philosophers' conceptions and read Joseph Butlers' account (1692-1752): "when we sit down in a cool hour, we can neither justify to ourselves this or any other pursuit, till we are convinced that it will be for our happiness, or at least not contrary to it".

Now I am not sure if this is contrary to the whole point of the post. Anyway, I am happy to say I am happy today : )