sexta-feira, setembro 28, 2007

Jour de chance

One of these days, while walking randomly Lisbon's streets, I happened to find an open air book market. It literally made my day and, to my great surprise I found some quite good books that overcome in quality what you generally expect to find in such a place. Of course the ambiance is always fascinating, treasure hunt like, with loads of people trying to make their way into the different stands. But my previous experience had taught me (and to this, I confess, I was wrong) that in such a market you'll hardly get more than the old and rusty classics (I don't mean they are not important), the leftovers of publishing houses and the wishy washy books that make the largest profit of those very same publishing houses.

This time I managed to buy two little treasures, for very temtping prices:



"Tales from a Globalizing World"
| Daniel Scwartz (editor) |

This is probably my favourite: different photo-stories produced by distinguished photographers, which aim at understanding the fracturing nature of globalization. I am expecting a deep sociological insight to all the ways in which globalization can induce exclusion and social conflict. And I long for the photos, of course.




"Words and buildings: a vocabulary of modern architecture"
| Adrian Forty|

How could I ever resist the association of text with architecture. From now on, I won't be able to stop reading the streets, the buildings, the cities, the windows and glass doors. Architecture is more than bricks and walls.